Video Study Guide: Earth Revealed
Episode 7: Mountain Building
Read the questions first. Then answer them while watching this episode of "Earth Revealed". If you miss it in class you are still responsible for the viewing this segment and answering the questions. The video is available online at
http://www.learner.org/vod/video.html?sid=78&po=7 . The index for these programs is online at
http://www.learner.org/resources/series78.html# . If you do not have an internet connection at home, view it after school or during study hall in the media center. Each segment is 30 minutes long.
- What are tectonic processes and what fuels them?
- What are cratons?
- What types of rock make up the Canadian Shield (as well as most other cratons)?
- Describe the initial formation of earth's continental crustal materials.
- How is greenstone changed into granitic continental rock?
- Why are the youngest portions of the continents along the edges?
- How does plate tectonics explain how ocean sediments are found in mountains?
- Describe the rock cycle.
- Describe the accretion process and how it relates to the building of the continents.
- What is a terrain?
- What commonly marks the boundaries of accreted terrains?
- What is responsible for the continued uplift of many major mountain ranges?
- What is isostasy?
- What two factors contribute to the formation of mountains?
- What does the Mediterranean Sea represent?