Video Study Guide: Earth Revealed
Episode 4: The Seafloor
Read the questions first. Then answer them while watching this episode of "Earth Revealed". If you miss it in class you are still responsible for the viewing this segment and answering the questions. The video is available online at
http://www.learner.org/vod/video.html?sid=78&po=4 . The index for these programs is online at
http://www.learner.org/resources/series78.html# . If you do not have an internet connection at home, view it after school or during study hall in the media center. Each segment is 30 minutes long.
- What are conditions like on the seafloor?
- What is the main type of rock found on the seafloor?
- Describe the topography of the seafloor: shelf, slope, canyons, rise, and abyss.
- What are pelagic sediments?
- What do oceanic ridge systems represent?
- What is found at the crest of the oceanic ridges?
- Discuss the age of the ocean floor.
- What is seafloor spreading, and what does it do to the ocean floor?
- What is subduction, and what does it do to the ocean floor?
- Discuss methods used by marine geologists to study the seafloor.
- What types of metallic resources can be found on the seafloor?
- What conditions limit exploration and development of resources from the seafloor?
- Describe the ecological environment found at hydrothermal vent sites.
- Discuss pros and cons of the study, exploration, and development of the seafloor.