Video Study Guide: Earth Revealed
Episode 2: The Restless Planet
Read the questions first. Then answer them while watching this episode of "Earth Revealed". If you miss it in class you are still responsible for the viewing this segment and answering the questions. The video is available online at
http://www.learner.org/vod/video.html?sid=78&po=2 . The index for these programs is online at
http://www.learner.org/resources/series78.html#. If you do not have an internet connection at home, view it after school or during study hall in the media center. Each segment is 30 minutes long.
- Where on earth are living things found?
- What is a nebula? Describe the Nebular Hypothesis.
- Why do we see so few meteorite impact scars on earth?
- Describe the solar system and the differences between the planets.
- Describe the process of differentiation.
- What factors contributed to the early heating of the earth?
- Describe the internal structure of the earth.
- Why is the inner core solid?
- Describe the origin and composition of earth's early atmosphere.
- What two sources have contributed to earth's hydrosphere?
- How did earth's early oceans contribute to the origin and evolution of life?
- How did early life forms change earth's atmosphere?
- Why is earth still geologically active?
- What is convection and how does it relate to earth's internal heat engine?
- Describe the theory of plate tectonics.
- When did the "processes of change" stop affecting our planet?