Video Study Guide: Earth Revealed
Episode 1: Down to Earth
Read the questions first. Then answer them while watching this episode of "Earth Revealed". If you miss it in class you are still responsible for the viewing this segment and answering the questions. The video is available online at
http://www.learner.org/vod/video.html?sid=78&pid=312&po=1&VID=5473 . The index for these programs is online at
http://www.learner.org/resources/series78.html# . If you do not have an internet connection at home, view it after school or during study hall in the media center. Each segment is 30 minutes long.
- What environmental conditions make life possible on earth?
- What is the goal of the study of geology?
- Describe earth's internal and external heat engines.
- How do these two heat engines work together to shape the planet?
- What new theory makes this an exciting time to study the earth?
- What are the four natural resources mentioned in the film?
- Discuss some of the issues which relate to groundwater usage.
- What is the main factor which leads to soil erosion?
- How do geologists attempt to predict volcanic eruptions?
- What are the three goals of the Parkfield experiment?
- Summarize steps we can take to prepare for earthquakes.
- What earth process is more destructive than volcanoes and earthquakes?
- Where are many of the earth's major population centers?
- What is the dual challenge and obligation of modern earth scientists?
- Why is geology the most important science?
- Why do geologists rarely conduct experiments?