Video Study Guide: Earth Revealed
Episode 16: Mass Wasting
Read the questions first. Then answer them while
watching this episode of "Earth Revealed". If you miss it in class you are still
responsible for the viewing this segment and answering the questions. The video
is available online at
http://www.learner.org/vod/video.html?sid=78&po=16 . The index for these programs is online at
.. If you do not have an internet connection at home, view it after school or during study hall in the media center. Each segment is 30 minutes long.
- What is mass wasting?
- Why does mass wasting occur everywhere?
- How do human activities help trigger mass wasting events?
- Describe how the angle of a slope affects mass wasting.
- Describe how water in the ground contributes to mass wasting.
- What is creep, and what causes it to occur?
- What is slump?
- Discuss landslides at Portuguese Bend.
- How has road building contributed to the problems?
- Why are many Portuguese Bend landowners unable to move?
- What are some of the things residents are doing to protect their homes?
- Discuss mudflows and debris flows.
- Describe rock slides.
- What factors do engineering geologists look at when studying slope stability?
- How do heavy rains contribute to mud and debris flows?
- How does human activity contribute to mass wasting processes?