Chapter 22, Part 2 Planetary Motion
- Explain the contributions of each person:
- Copernicus -
- Tycho Brahe
- Explain Keplers first two laws fully. Make a diagram of each and label it.
- What does Keplers third law of planetary motion state?
- If the distance to Planet X is 4,000 AU, which is the period? Show all work!
- Galileo proved that our solar system was not geometric. What did he discover and how did
he prove it?
- What does Issac Newtons Universal Law of Gravitation state?
- What happens to the force of gravity between the two objects if their distance
- What happens to the force of gravity between the two objects if their size increases?
- What is the difference between an ellipse and a circle? Which is the shape that the
planets follow in their orbits?
- Draw a picture of Ptolemys vision of the solar system, and label it.
- What is retrograde motion?
- Why did ancient peoples believe the Earth was the center of the universe?