Review Questions for Chapter 20 Telescopes and the
Telescopes (reviewed separately for Telescope Quiz)
Bending of light by a lens, water, or particles
What is reflection?
Bouncing of light by a mirror or polished surface
- What is the function of a telescope?
To collect light. Magnification of the image is the job of the
- What is the best location?
Warm, dry climate to prevent expansion and contraction of the
lenses. Away from lights, and preferably elevated, so there is less atmosphere to look
- Why use a dome?
To keep the average night temperature and it makes it easier to
view the whole sky.
- What are the 2 kinds of optical telescopes?
Reflecting uses mirrors, and
Refracting uses lenses
- What are the primary differences?
- What is an MMR?
Multiple mirror telescope
- What is a CCD and why use it?
Charge coupled device light sensitive photocells that re
able to collect more light than a regular photo
- What is a Schmidt telescope, and why use it?
Wide angle view telescope, used for photography of sky